In Nuremberg, the artist’s homeland, the ancient building - the Albrecht Dürer House-Museum is carefully preserved and lovingly restored. This is a tribute to the memory and achievements of the great German master, who left an indelible mark on the history of art.
Albrecht Durer House Museum in Nuremberg - photo
This house was built at the beginning of the 15th century, namely in 1420, and is a typical example of the architecture of the time. Now it appears to us as a rather large four-story building, the lower two floors of which are built of brownish-pink sandstone blocks, and the upper two floors are half-timbered, that is, created on the basis of supporting wooden structures with filling the space with clay, brick, small stone on clay mortar by the tree. This is a typical type of building for most cities of medieval Germany.
Albrecht Durer House Museum in Nuremberg, photo near
The semi-hip roof, that is, a four-pitched roof with triangular sections, is also characteristic of northern countries, because it is able to withstand large masses of snow. In the house of Dürer, it is decorated with two large lucarnes - dormers.
Museum building history
In this building, the great artist lived the last years of his life - from 1509 to 1528. He lived in it with a large family - with his mother, wife, apprentices and students.
The house built in about 1420 (confirmed by dendrochronological analysis of the most ancient preserved beams) was bought in 1501 by the merchant Walter, who was fond of astronomy. It is thanks to him that the building has a modern look.
It was he who built lucarnes specifically so that it would be convenient for him to contemplate the heavenly bodies.
In 1509, the house was sold for 275 guilders to Dürer, and after his death, until his death in 1539, he was owned by the widow of the artist, Agnes. After her, ownership of the house passed to Agnes's sister, Katarina. In total, 24 owners of this house are known, and at all times the building was constantly called the "Dürer house".
In 1826, Nuremberg contributed to the preservation of the artist’s memorable place of life by buying his house and creating a museum room in it. The building became a full museum in 1871, when the city transferred it to the “Society of the House of Albrecht Dürer”.
Opening and use of the artist’s house-museum
During World War II, Nuremberg, like many other cities in Germany, was badly damaged by air raids. The historic center was especially badly destroyed, and the Dürer Museum also pretty much got to it. But how highly Germans valued their great compatriot is evidenced by the fact that already in 1949, when most of the country was still in ruins, the artist’s House Museum was restored and was already hosting guests.
In the hall of the Dürer Museum
On the 500th anniversary of the master’s birth in 1971, an extension was made to the main building, which housed the anniversary exhibition. In 1996 - 98, the extension was redesigned into a cinema hall, which is used for conferences, meetings and exhibition events.
This ancient building is kept in perfect condition thanks to tireless restoration and restoration work. The first floor is an authentic, historic kitchen and two rooms, recreated at the end of the 19th century in a pseudo-Gothic style. The upper floor of the house is a large open space, where, according to historians and scientists, the workshop of Dürer and his students could be located. Previously, it was mistakenly believed that the workshop could be in the attic under the roof.
Dürer Museum, figurine
The museum not only houses expositions from the original works of the master and their copies, but also various devices of the period that he could use to create his famous engravings. The museum is not a frozen “time capsule”, exhibitions are constantly held in it, it is planned to rebuild the attic gallery to expand the exhibition of the artist’s works.
Despite the past five hundred years, the work of the master is still popular among the people. This is evidenced by the fact that no one calls the square in front of the house-museum its "native" name. For all, it is Dürer Square.
You can find the biography of the artist and his paintings at this link.